Hackathon

Let’s

My idea is...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. MyCity Student Blogs

The City should create a student blog, linked from MyCity, that would enable students to share their learning and work experiences at The City, while also offering full-time employees the chance to catch a glimpse into the world of a summer student - our perceptions, observations, tasks, lessons, contributions, and suggestions. The blog could operate on a rotating basis, featuring a new blog entry every week or every other day (depending on how many students are working in any given summer) and would be written by student employees who share their work experiences with the rest of The Corporation. Blog…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Rebranding and Marketing Effort

One can never underestimate the power of communications and, as it stands right now, The City doesn't do enough to market its job offerings to students. As Marshall McLuhan said, "the medium is the message." The City should therefore advertise its summer student postings not just on its own website, but on channels that youth and students actively engage in (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc.) as well. What is more important, however, is how the message is communicated. Right now limited-term summer student positions are posted individually on The City of Calgary's job opportunities page, but aside from the fact that…

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Student Career Fair

I think that it would be interesting to ask past summer students to attend some of The City's careers fairs that are held at various post secondary institutions. The older summer students will then be able to share their experiences and attract students looking for summer work to look at The City as an option.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Organize "Lunch n' Learn" Sessions Through Student Organized Groups

Post Secondary Schools such as the University of Calgary, Mount Royal Univeristy and SAIT have student run clubs to promote various activities to the student body. Often times individual faculties organize their own student clubs, for example SIC (Students in Communications at the University of Calgary). I think that The City should organize individual sessions for each of the faculties to promote upcoming summer jobs relating to the particular area of interest and ask past summer students to share their past experiences while working at The City.

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • City of Calgary, Student Alumni Program!

Many Cities and Corporations have 'Alumni Programs' for former employees, the City of Calgary would benefit from adopting this strategy for students as well!

The City of Calgary Student Alumni Program would include..

- A private page on the City of Calgary website. This page could also be linked to a Facebook group and Twitter feed!

- This page would include job opportunities that give priority to, or are exclusive to former City of Calgary summer students. (Including temporary, permanent and summer student opportunities). It could also include opportunities exclusive to former summer students (a returners program).

- Competitions and…

9 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • City Bicycles

Just as the City of Calgary has cars that staff can use for work, bicycles should also be provided. This is an easy way to get around, to get some exercise, and it’s a sustainable and economical alternative to driving. I had the chance to go to some meetings this summer; many were in the downtown area but were a bit too far to walk and were slightly away from the LRT line. A bicycle would be the perfect solution.

Staff could borrow the bicycle and return it when they are finished. There could even be the option of returning…

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • E-mail and Text-message Notification

Citizens of Calgary could register for e-mail and text message notification. They could register for short e-mail updates depending on their interest area, for example they could choose updates on the LRT expansion, or family festivals and events. They could also select notifications depending on the neighbourhood they live in, for example a resident of Sunnyside would be sent information of bus-route changes, or community meetings in their neighbourhood. General updates would also be available, for example notifications would be sent with road closures, school closures or civic election information. Finally, e-mails and text messages could also be sent with…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Transit iPhone/Blackberry App

In the very near future Calgary Transit is having GPS installed in every one of their buses and trains. What this means, is one can calculate how far away the next bus or train is in real time (if the bus is running 5 miniutes late it will display this). Used in conjunction with a tool such as Google maps, or the current Calgary transit website, one could create an application that tells when the next bus or train will come in real time.

This means you can stay inside and wait until the last minute for the bus to…

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • City Reference Program

It would be great to see the City of Calgary supporting students by creating a reference system for previous/current students. Supervisors could make comments at the end of the summer that could go into the student reference file. When applying for jobs after graduations, the students would then have an excellent reference with the City of Calgary, where specific examples of their work and skill set could be described to future employers. This could help the City of Calgary in turn when previous students applied for jobs at the City.

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Summer Student Sport League

While there have been a few efforts this summer to get groups of students together for drinks, it would be great to have a formal program where summer students had the opportunity to meet at lunch or after work to play some recreational sports. The city endorses active behaviour and has the WOW program already in place (which summer students can take part in); however as a way to network, a program could get set up where alternate sports and games are played biweekly, and one could choose to come out and meet new people. We could play football, ultimate,…

9 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • "My Two Cents" Campaign

Improving citizens' access to information stops one step short of enhancing citizens' understanding of that information. In order to improve both citizens' access and understanding, City of Calgary budget proposals should be accompanied by an interactive public website called "My Two Cents" where citizens can log on and divvy up a virtual pie, allowing them to balance the City's costs and revenues against the imperative to provide the necessary programs and services for their fellow citizens. This exercise could enable citizens to "Submit" their proposed distribution of resources for consideration in the business planning and budgeting process, or it could…

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Job Shadowing

Problem: Like most students, I am confused about where I would like to work in the future. Though the City of Calgary offers many diverse career paths, I will only be exposed to one as a summer student.

Solution: Job Shadow or Job Swap. For one day or even an afternoon, you could switch positions with another summer student and learn about their department and the career opportunities in that field.

This would be a huge help for me determining my career path, for many of the jobs I think I might have in the future, such as an Urban…

9 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Job training

Short courses could be offered throughout the summer to provide training for summer students that would help them transition between student and worker. It could be real-world training that could not be thought in a university or college classroom. This could include job shadowing or job-specific training. This would prepare students to leave university and enter the job market, but also would also directly prepare students for a job at the City of Calgary.

I believe that such a program would be very popular, as it would enrich the summer student experience, and would likely attract more summer students to…

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • iPhone App

•It could include guides to the city
                              •Calgary screen savers or ringtones
                              •A Calgary 311 app
                              •Perhaps a database could be created, that would link to all existing iPhone apps for Calgary, such as the Stampede Breakfast “Flapjack Finder”

(I volunteer to try out the new app if I win the iPad!)

5 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • The EXTREME Summer Student Challenge

The Task:
                                Together with your supervisor, decide upon an important public awareness issue related to your summer student posting. For example, accessibility, construction site safety, water conservation etc...

The Team:
                                Form a group with other summer students in your business unit, or from other business units, if relevant.

The Competition:
                                Spend an afternoon each week researching the public awareness issue and come up with a creative and engaging public information campaign. Try to present the information in a fun way, for example: through a video, an art piece, a poster, a poem or a rap.

The Judging:
                                All the entries…

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Experience the City

The Coco Lite training was helpful and provided an introduction to the different business units at the City, but I found it hard to really understand what they are all responsible for. I propose a 2 or 3 day-long “Experience the City” session. Summer students would be broken up into small groups, and would spend several days moving between different sites and business units. They would spend several hours at each site, helping with small tasks, and getting to understand the roles and responsibilities of each department. All students wouldn’t go to every site; rather 4 or 6 different sites…

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Flexible Hours/ Create Your Own Work Week

Personally, one of the main reasons as to why I chose to work for the City was because of the 35 hour work week and flexibility in scheduling. From my experience last year and working within a team of six students, our supervisor actually allowed summer students to maintain and come up with individual schedules that they would align to each other’s—basically make your own hours as long as 35 were accumulated. This was great because it gave you the freedom to pursue other activities (i.e. take a spring class) while garnering work experience. I understand that most business units…

12 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Revising the City's Application Process

The City of Calgary's online application process is perhaps the most widely used method of applying for employment opportunities at the City. However, there can be serious difficulty in the application process that may discourage potential employees from pursuing positions at the City, particularly if many openings are being applied for at the same time. (Many people, like me, often have to apply to a massive number of openings at a time, under the fragile economic situation that the world is in right now.) I will demonstrate with some of my own experiences.
                                      When navigating around the job application site,…

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Summer Student Pub / Restaurant Night!

In the month of May, and maybe 1-3 times again throughout the Summer (depending on feasibility / funding), I think it would be a great experience for the City to treat all the students to a bonding experience over a meal at a nearby restaurant (say, on 8th Avenue). Just after work at 5pm-ish.

It should definitely be done early on to encourage us to develop relationships amongst each other. I think it would be really great to know people roughly our own age and career experience, and it could form bonds throughout the City organization that could last years…

9 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Advertisements on Transit!

I think the best publicity the Summer Students program could have would be to advertise on transit! (LRT and Buses). Since all the Jobs are posted around the same time (March), a cohesive strategy in January and/or February to have some ads promoting the City of Calgary's 'Summer Student Opportunities' or Program would attract many applicants (since so many students are on transit already!).

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)